The six-year War on Drugs that Mexican president Felipe Calderon has waged since 2007 has resulted in one consequence no one anticipated: Mexican drug cartels have sent upwards of $1 trillion to the U.S.
This staggering sum of money has been funneled through U.S. financial institutions, almost always in violation of U.S. laws, and at times even with the cooperation of American federal agencies.
In fact, if the Mexican drug cartels were a sovereign nation, they would qualify to be part of the G-20, ahead of Indonesia (GNP: $845 billion) and behind South Korea (GNP: $1.1 trillion). Yet, this is the cumulative sum of money that Mexican drug cartels have funneled through the U.S. economy.
A New York Times story published last month reporting that federal authorities busted a cartel boss accused of laundering $1 million a month pales in comparison to the hundreds of billions of dollars that drug organizations have moved through U.S. banks.
Who cares about a $12,000,000 a year operation when one American bank was found to have laundered $378,400,000,000 before it was caught? After federal prosecutors started criminal proceedings against the bank, it agreed to hand $110 million over to federal authorities, for allowing banking transactions with proven connections to drug smuggling operations. And the same bank subsequently paid the government a $50 million fine for failing to monitor cash used to ship 22 tons of cocaine.
In other words, the bank paid $160 million to make the case go away. No bank official was ever charged with a crime, and the monies ended up dispersed throughout the United States.
The bank? Wachovia. The year? 2010.
“The [American] authorities uncovered billions of dollars in wire transfers, traveler’s checks and cash shipments through Mexican exchanges into Wachovia accounts,” Ed Vulliamy reported in the Guardian of London on April 2, 2011. “Wachovia was put under immediate investigation for failing to maintain an effective anti-money laundering program… Criminal proceedings were brought against Wachovia, though not against any individual, but the case never came to court.”
- punku likes this
- theastrolibrarian reblogged this from sinidentidades
- suenosdesirena reblogged this from pensamiento-serpentino
- leftistshuffle reblogged this from sinidentidades
- thesummerofmark likes this
- nerdargyle999 likes this
- gracefree reblogged this from sinidentidades
- bestwheelbase likes this
- qtxmcy likes this
- art-is-the-word reblogged this from sinidentidades and added:
- mzmew likes this
- coolyourbears reblogged this from sinidentidades
- sinidentidades reblogged this from bostonreview
- kymanijoe21 reblogged this from jayaprada
- suenosdesirena likes this
- baal-pit reblogged this from nitanahkohe
- patternsofbehavior reblogged this from jayaprada
- boyswannabeher likes this
- pensamiento-serpentino reblogged this from tzunuun
- pensamiento-serpentino likes this
- buryyourselfinwords likes this
- benjaminldaniel reblogged this from bostonreview
- sabihin likes this
- punku reblogged this from tzunuun
- relocation-swarm likes this
- tzunuun reblogged this from nitanahkohe
- bostonreview reblogged this from eachwildidea
- eachwildidea reblogged this from roewoof
- roewoof reblogged this from jayaprada
- waytogowonderwhore likes this
- nitanahkohe reblogged this from kadalkavithaigal
- crookedthinking95 reblogged this from jayaprada
- crookedthinking95 likes this
- elhombre reblogged this from jayaprada
- elhombre likes this
- therodt likes this
- auxiliofaux likes this
- verbalresistance likes this
- jayaprada reblogged this from kadalkavithaigal
- kadalkavithaigal reblogged this from theamericanbear
- mariposatraicioneras reblogged this from theamericanbear
- anotcleverblog likes this
- the-starving-artless reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- fieldninjaj likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from truth-has-a-liberal-bias
- simplygarrison reblogged this from theeducatedfieldnegro
- shanilaude reblogged this from theeducatedfieldnegro
- clairebearology likes this
- toohunnit reblogged this from smallrevolutionary
- thebeerihadforbreakfast likes this